Electrical Tips To Use In Your Office
Consumer electronic products are more
prevalent than ever. Research indicates that
the average household owns more than
twenty-five consumer electronic products.
With all of today’s technology, it can prove
challenging to safely maintain power to all
of our electronic devices. Electrical outlets
are easy to overload and as a result, may
become hazardous. While adding a power strip
or extension cord seems like an easy solution to
a lack of electrical outlets, the wiring in some
buildings often isn’t capable of supporting too
many high-powered electronic appliances.
Older office buildings and homes, in particular,
often suffer from lack of electrical outlets. The
temptation is to simply add a power strip or plug
in an extension cord from across the room. Even
in newer office buildings and homes, it can be all
too easy to overload a single outlet with power-hungry machines such as computers, printers,
scanners and monitors.
When an employee or resident overloads an
electrical outlet, that means more current is
running through the outlet than it can handle.
This causes the outlet to overheat, which may
lead to an electrical fire. According to a 2008
National Fire Protection Association study,
electrical distribution and lighting equipment
are involved in more than 24,000 home structure
fires per year. These fires resulted in an average of 320 deaths per year and an estimated $700 million in property damage per year.1
If an electrical fire should occur, get safely away
from the fire and call your fire department. If you
choose to use an extinguisher on the fire, never
let the fire get between you and a safe exit, and
never use water to extinguish an electrical fire. The risk of electrical shock is far too great. Class C fire extinguishers use a non-conductive extinguishing agent and should not cause electrical shock.
To help prevent this and other electrical hazards,
refer to the list below (provided by Electrical
Safety Foundation International).
- If you must use a power strip, use a name brand
product from a reputable retailer.
Low-quality or counterfeit power strips
may contain wiring that isn’t adequate to
carry the load.
- Place power strips where there is plenty
of air circulation to disperse the heat.
- Never attempt to plug grounded (three prong)
cords into an ungrounded (two prong)
- Do not bind, kink or knot electrical cords.
Should you encounter the aftermath of an electrical fire, call SERVPRO to help you get your life to normal again