Generator Do's and Don'ts
This time of year, for our area, is known for severe weather. It can strike at any time and can cause serious damages. If you have a generator on hand for power outages, follow these tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Never use a generator, or other natural gas, or charcoal burning equipment inside your home, or in an enclosed area.
- To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use in rainy or wet conditions. Operate it on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure. Never touch the generator with wet hands.
- Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide in the home. Although it can’t be seen or smelled, it can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and even death. Even if you cannot smell the exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to carbon monoxide. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
What To Do If Your Commercial Building Floods
Extensive flooding can cause a lot of issues for the office or building that has been affected. The primary concern inside a building is not only the water, but it’s also the humidity levels. Humidity can ruin paperwork, electronics, and can cause mold growth in areas that were not affected by flooding.
Flooding from a bursting pipe or water sprinkler system can dump gallons of water into the building at a fast rate. That much water can affect multiple floors in a building which can be very costly. Conventional drying methods will not be able to dry out a large building properly.
Extracting the water is the first crucial step. We have equipment that can remove large amounts of water in a small amount of time. Our air movers and large desiccants will also remove the humidity quickly. Call us today! No job is ever too big or too small.
Restore and Replace: What's the Difference?
The first 48 hours after fire damage occurs can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Russellville, Hamilton and Fayette can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. Our trained professionals provide timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory. These services can help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
A wave of different emotions can sweep over the after a fire goes through a home. Fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of what will happen can overwhelm the homeowner long after the flames and smoke have cleared.
After the first wave of heroes have help the property, let us help you restore it.
Call us today, we are always here to help!
We Have Our Own Disaster Recovery Team
Did you know that SERVPRO has a specialized storm team and large loss response network to provide the resources to your property when others can’t?
In the event of a disaster, SERVPRO professionals have the resources to relocate crews with equipment to take care of all of our customer’s needs. SERVPRO strategically places mobilization teams across the country to travel when needed to support in recovery after large storm events such as hurricanes. Our job as water damage restoration professionals is to limit the amount of business interruption. We understand that fast mitigation is key to getting your business back up and running. SERVPRO provides the resources in the event of a large storm event to make sure that the right equipment, procedures and training are in place to ensure that the structure is dry the first time and saves you time and money.
Our Duct Cleaning Process
Did you know that a duct cleaning can improve the quality of air? It’s important to have a clean duct and HVAC system at your home and business. The professionals at SERVPRO of Cullman/Blount Counties can clean your system for you. The SERVPRO duct cleaning system is proven and cost-efficient.
What’s hiding in your ducts? Over time, different contaminants or foreign objects can enter and collect in your air ducts that may diminish the indoor air quality of your home or office, or it can cause other damages to your HVAC system. Below is a list of what could potentially be there:
These are just a few of the reasons why it’s important to have a professional clean your ducts. Depending on where you live and other variables, it’s recommended to get your ducts cleaned every three to five years. If you have never had your system cleaned, now is a great time to have it done.
SERVPRO’s Duct Cleaning System:
- The process begins by using patented equipment, including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of the particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- An optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
You Can Rely On Us!
A water damage can happen within a property in many ways. Homeowners need to know what to do at the earliest signs of this issue.
The need for water restoration in homes does not always announce itself. A sudden busted pipe or backed up toilet may create the need for urgency; there are also types of damage that go on for a time before getting noticed through some of the following symptoms:
- Sounds of dripping water
- Damp odors
- Water stains
Another common sign that an ongoing water issue is occurring within the structure is coldness. Homeowners may report that a room is difficult to heat, and the inability may be due to dampness in the walls. SERVPRO technicians have special moisture detection equipment and infrared cameras that can look behind building materials or under flooring to identify areas of wicking or seepage.
Preventing Water Leaks in Your Home or Business
Water leaks within a home or business can seep into carpet, flooring, baseboards, and walls while moving throughout the building. Our professionals understand how disruptive and damaging water can be for a family or business. Water leaks in a business can not only disrupt the facility but also can interrupt day to day business functions, which could lead to closing the business and affect revenues.
Timely mitigation is key to the restoration process. Quick response time helps ensure that damage is contained and the restoration process begins promptly. This saves on the amount of damage, cost of claims, and assists in reducing losses from business interruption due to a loss. Our professionals will be able to identify water regardless of where it hides. We offer 24-hour emergency response from our trained professionals to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Leak Prevention Tips:
- Check the roof for any kind of aging or damage.
- Check gutters and downspouts.
- Check basements and crawl spaces for moisture.
- Check appliances in kitchens, break rooms and cafeterias.
- Check sinks and toilets in bathrooms.
- Check HVAC for leaks and blockages.
Call us today! We are always here to help.
We Can Help Your Business During a Disaster!
Here at SERVPRO of Russellville, Hamilton and Fayette, we have the capability to handle any size job. We have the equipment and vehicles ready for whatever is called for to assist you on your journey to get your business back up and running. Studies say that 50% of businesses that close due to a disaster are never able to reopen. The businesses that are able to reopen normally have a emergency plan set up to ensure a quick and efficient transition back to normalcy. We offer a cost-free option for those looking to record emergency information in one accessible application that's accessible on mobile devices. So when the unexpected happens, whoever is onsite can access the proper contacts to get the situation handled. When is comes to the unexpected disaster, it is essential to be timely to limit further damage. Call our office today to set up an appointment with one of our marketing representative to set up your Emergency Ready Profile today. We are here to help YOU!
1-4-8 Rule for Water Damages!
Some people may only have one major water loss in their lifetime. We have a proven process that will make it easy for all of our clients both commercial and residential.
- First hour: Within one hour of notification, we will call and arrange for service. Help is on the way!
- The fourth hour: Within four hours of notification, we will be on-site starting the mitigation process. With a quick response, it will save money and reduce the amount of damage done.
- Detailed explanation: A SERVPRO technician will explain the step-by-step process and the approximate time that it will take.
- Pretesting: This happens as we work from the source of the damage outward, pretesting for the ability to restore.
- The Eighth hour: Within eight hours, we will have a full scope of service and communicate this to all materially interested parties.
- Cleaning & Restoration: We will work diligently to restore and get your property back to a preloss condition and taken care of correctly the first time.
- Final walk-through: Once all work is complete, our trained professionals will walk through with you to make sure you are satisfied with the job.
Why Does Mold Keep Coming Back?
The quick, and accurate, answer to repeated microbial growth is water issues. Knowing this, doesn't always help you prevent further growth and contamination, especially after repeated growth in a certain area.
The Reasons for the Return
Certain properties of mold can help you understand why it keeps coming back:
• Most molds aren't harmful. These organisms exist everywhere, inside and outside. Most of the time, molds aren't dangerous and are often helpful. However, certain types, such as black mold, can be unsightly and costly.
• Molds are fungi. They reproduce by spreading spores. To facilitate colony growth and the spread of spores, thread-like hyphae (branching filaments of mold) release enzymes and spores. If a hypha is detached from the rest of the colony, it can begin to take root and establish a new colony on a new surface.
• Mold is microscopic. This means it can get into places that you may not think possible. It also makes it very hard for you to clean mold completely with a spray solution and scrubbing. For example, you probably can't access both sides of the drywall, but when there's high humidity, this is an ideal location for mold growth.
• Mold grows quickly. Whether spores are carried into an area through the ductwork or hyphae have broken off and transferred to a new surface, it only takes 24 to 48 hours for a new colony to take hold.
Prevention and Remediation
The best route for water damage restoration is to work with a professional and prevent water damage. Inspect your property for any leaky pipes or faucets, install a dehumidifier, and keep the property well-ventilated.
When you don't know what else to try, contact a professional. Our trained professionals can handle problems in inaccessible areas, locate areas of moisture you couldn't find, and provide education for further prevention of mold.