It is that time of year again here in our area. That's right, severe weather season. If you are operating a generator this storm season, there are some things you need to know.
- Never use a generator inside of a structure. This is a fire hazard.
- Keep the generator in an open area outdoors and if possible under a canopy. Do not touch a generator with wet hands. This can cause electrocution.
- Cracking doors and windows, and even running ventilation such as fans is not enough to prevent from carbon monoxide poisoning. If you feel dizzy or sick, exit the structure and get fresh air.
- Installing carbon monoxide alarms can alert you to potentially hazardous conditions in the structure and allow you time to evacuate.